Thursday, July 21, 2011

'the singularity'

refers to a number of awe-some, awe-full, or awe-inspiring things. I tend to freeze up among the nuances of gravitational, conical, curvature, and other Hawkingesque nightmares of physics...I need good old fashioned American simplification, so I reduce the term: when the finite meets the infinite.

The 'technological singularity' is one I can at least wrap my head around, if only to grunt in protest. As access to information grows, while our ability to take in and process it does not (evolution being unable to match the speed at which technology alters our information landscape), our species will require augmentation to "keep up" with our technology.

"Augmentation" is usually thought to be technology interfaced with biology directly, helping stretch natural limitations into unknown shapes. We will need help to manage the speed, scope, interconnectivity, breadth, and depth of a world increasingly saturated with complex information.

This is a necessity borne of necessity. And yet, I cannot shake the sly doubt that it is all largely shit. What bothers me isn't the notion of wiring my body and brain to something external, I'm not a Luddite, and actually can't wait until I can get something to help me actually finish an issue of The Economist, but I do wonder about priorities -- will my ability to finish that issue of The Economist make me a better person? A better spouse or parent? A better citizen? Will our vastly expanded mental and physical capabilities lead to a better world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive